Are you having psoriasis on eyelid and it’s irritating you a lot? Is it making your appearance quite bad? Are you looking for the ways to get rid of psoriasis on eyelids as soon as possible? Do you want to know everything about psoriasis on eyelid and its treatment? Well, if these are the questions coming to your mind then do not worry at all because you have come to the right place. Here, in this blog, you will get to know everything about psoriasis on eyelid and how you can treat this eyelid issue very well so that you can make your appearance even better.
Psoriasis on Eyelid
Well, first of all, let me make one thing very clear that psoriasis is a skin disease. Now, we will know about this eyelid disease in brief. Psoriasis is actually a chronic inflammatory disease of the skin. It is a long-term skin disorder and is generally characterized by patches of abnormal red, scaly and itchy skin. During this disease, an eye can be affected easily. However, there are about 10% of psoriasis that has ophthalmological problems.
There are several types of psoriases and the most frequent is the patches psoriasis. This type of psoriasis is manifested by the recurrence of red patches which is generally covered with whitish dandruff, detached from the skin. This disease can have different manifestations that range from the formation of localized plaques to a generalized skin’s attack. Apart from the eyes, psoriasis can appear on different other parts of the body such as hands, face, scalp, elbows, knees, buttocks, feet and nails.
Sometimes inflammatory arthritis can also be seen in psoriasis patients. About 10-20% of psoriasis people are developed with psoriatic arthritis. However, the major cause of psoriasis is not yet clearly understood but there is evidence for genetic predisposition. Psoriasis round eye can occur at any age but is commonly seen between 50-69 years. It has been found that men are suffering from psoriasis more than women.
Types of Psoriasis
As I have already mentioned above that there are different types of psoriasis. Mainly, there are five different types of psoriasis on eyelids. So, look below what they are:
After knowing the types of psoriasis, it’s time to know the causes of psoriasis on eyelid. So, to know the causes of eyelid psoriases, you can look below.
What Causes Psoriasis On Eyelids?
The cause of psoriasis is associated with a faulty immune response. When it comes to the cause of psoriasis on eyelid, experts suggest that this condition is caused because of the abnormal activation of the natural immune system that leads to the inflammation of the skin. This causes increase proliferation and multiplication of the skin cells. The increase in proliferation may lead to skin, scaling damage as well as thickening of the skin. There are also some experts who believe that the condition has a genetic predisposition. Some other people consider that this is caused due to environmental factors such as injuries, medications, infections and stress.
Some other factors that may cause psoriasis on eyelid are as follows:
- Smoking is another aggravating factor
- Yeast infection of the skin can aggravate the condition
- Ultraviolet radiation or increased exposure to sun rays aggravate the symptoms
Also Read: Eyelid Pigmentation – Know Its Causes & Easy To Apply Home Remedies
What Are The Symptoms of Psoriasis On Eyelid?
Several symptoms are there that may help you identify that you have psoriasis on eyelid. Some of the complications and symptoms associated with psoriasis on eyelid are as follows:
- Prolonged inflammation can lead to the rim of the eyelids to turn downwards and upwards. When the eyelids turn downwards then they can lead to irritation of the eyeball and they subsequently interfere with the eye vision.
- Psoriasis of the eyelids is characterized for formation of scales on the eyelashes. The corners of the eyelashes become inflamed, red and crusty.
- Overuse of topical steroids for psoriasis on eyelid’s treatment can also increase the risk of development of glaucoma and cataracts. You can consult your ophthalmologist frequently to avoid the complications.
- Psoriasis of the eye is an uncommon condition but it can develop as a complication.
How To Treat Psoriasis On Eyelid?
Generally, there are three major treatment s that can be applied to treat psoriasis on eyelid. They are very effective and you can easily get rid of psoriasis on eyelid. They are as follows:
- Topical Treatment
- Systematic Treatment
- Phototherapy Or Light Therapy
- Natural Treatments For Psoriasis On Eyelid
Now let us learn about psoriasis on eyelid treatment in brief in the below section of this blog.
It is believed that psoriasis is incurable but we also know that prevention is better than cure. There is a great need to control the symptoms. When it comes to treating psoriasis around eye, you can try several ointments and creams. Skin doctor or eye doctor advice special corticosteroids to treat scales on eyelashes but you should be very careful while you use them. If you overuse the medicines or go inside then it can cause of increased IOP, Intraocular pressure which can also lead to glaucoma. Apart from this, it also feels that it can be the cause of early cataract. Sometimes topical lubricants can use inside of the eyes if you feel dryness or itchiness inside of eyes.
When it comes to systematic medications to treat psoriasis on eyelid, doctor may prescribe your some tablets and injection for different types of eyelid psoriasis. This treatment should not be used for long-term basis. Due to the side effects of some medicines, you should not go with this long term treatment. Well, you can consult your doctors regarding this treatment.
3#Phototherapy or Natural Therapy
Ultraviolet B rays can fight against psoriasis. Artificial ultraviolet rays can help you treat psoriasis on eyelid. But, in some case, it can worsen the condition. This artificial ultraviolet therapy is known as narrow-based UVB therapy. This can also damage the skin and may be the cause of the skin cancer. So, you should consult your doctor before you start this phototherapy.
4#Natural Treatments For Psoriasis On Eyelid
Apart from the above treatments, you can also try some natural remedies. There are some natural remedies that can be very helpful to treat psoriasis on eyelid. In the below section, you can look at some common but effective natural treatments to cure psoriasis on eyelid.
- You can avoid makeup application that contains chemicals. If you are overweight then you can reduce the weight. Fish oil contains vitamin A and D and they both are good for skin health.
- You can wash your affected eyelids with water and can keep your eyes\lids moisturized with the application of baby oil over the complete area. When the scales are not easy to remove eyelid cleanser are found to be useful. Most of the eyelids are available over the counter. You can try to avoid cleaning the eyelids intensely as this may worsen the issue.
Look Here: Learn About Eyelid Malposition – Causes, Treatments & More
- Sometimes homeopathic drugs have proved some valuable to treat and prevent the frequent recurrence. Some homeopathy medicines are generally based on individualization, the person needs to consult a homeopathy doctor for proper treatment.
- You can also make some dietary changes to reduce the severity of eyelid psoriasis. You can exclude animal proteins, fat from your diet. Also, you can avoid eating wheat and dairy products because they are responsible for skin issues like psoriasis.
Psoriasis on eyelid can be very irritating and it needs to be treated as soon as possible. If you have psoriasis around eye then it is very important to know what this eyelid issue is and what causes psoriasis on eyelid, its symptoms and their treatment. You can try the above-mentioned home treatments to cure psoriasis on eyelid.
Psoriasis On Eyelid – Causes, Symptoms, Treatments & More
If you have psoriasis on eyelid then you should definitely know everything about this eyelid disease including causes, symptoms, natural treatments and more. try these treatments and get rid of this issue forever.