Flaky, scaly and dry skin on eyelid is the worst conditions because it can be very uncomfortable, unattractive and irritating. Dry eyelids may affect many people, most probably the people who already have some issues with the flaky or dry spot on eyelid. Before you apply any kind of moisturizers, lotions or any lubrication to relieve the eyelid dryness then it is quite vital that you consult to an eye specialist or dermatologist to know the actual causes. However, you can also know how to get rid of dry skin on eyelid with the best natural remedies. But before that, we will learn some causes of having dryness on eyelids.
Our Editors Recommend:
Causes For Dry Eyelids:
Itchy or dry skin on eyelid can be caused due to different underlying issues. Here, you will get to know about some of the main causes of dryness on eyelids. It also includes Sjogren’s syndrome. Other causes are:
- Deficiency of some food causes eyelid dryness
- The chemicals present in shampoo leads your eyelids to become dry
- Cleansers contain some hazardous chemicals which are not good for healthy skin
- Psoriasis is an autoimmune eyelid disease that allows the skin cells to build up quickly on the skin’s surface
- Eczema is a chronic skin condition that takes place due to issues with a protective barrier of the skin
- Medications cause allergies and due to allergy, you can have dry eyelids
- Cosmetics items like foundation, eyeliner, eye shadow cause eyelid dryness
- The nickel body can cause irritation of eyelash curler may cause dryness on eyelid
- Hair Dye-contains the ingredient named p-Phenylenediamine which causes dry skin on eyelid
- Atopic Dermatitis, which is the result of airborne allergens
Some Cosmetic Ingredients Also Cause Eyelid Dryness
Do you know that dry eyelids causes due to makeup? Yes, it is true, sometimes; you may get dry eyelids from makeup application. There are several chemicals present in different kinds of makeup products like eyeliner, eyeshadow, foundation, primer, etc. So, be very careful while you apply any makeup product on your face including your eyes. Make sure that the cosmetic products you use for makeup application include less amount of chemicals in it so that you can avoid having dry spot on eyelid.
- Resins such as colophony
- Pearlescent additives such as bismuth oxychloride
- Pigment contaminants such as nickel
- Preservatives such as parabens, imidazolidinyl urea, quaternium-15, pheny mercuric acetate and potassium sorbate
- Emollients such as propylene glycol and lanolin
- Antioxidants such as butylated hydroxytoluene, di-tert-butyl-hydroquinonen and butylated hydroxyanisole
Some Vital Symptoms of Dry Eyelids:
Dry skin on eyelid is an issue that takes place when you have itchy eyelids. It causes you to rub your eyes again and again and, as a result, your eyelid skin becomes dry. Below are some other signs and symptoms that show that you have dry eyelids issue:
- Discoloration of skin
How To Get Rid Of Dry Skin On Eyelid With Natural Treatments
You can try all these below home remedies for dry eyelids treatment. These are very easy to apply and there is no need to put a lot of effort, money and time to apply all these dry flaky eyelids home remedies. With the help of below some effective ways, you can get rid of dry eyelids. All these below ways will help you know how to treat dry eyelids naturally. They are very easy to follow and are related to your daily routine so you don’t have to put any extra effort to try the ways to know how to get rid of dry eyelids:
#1: Apply Baby Shampoo:
This is the simplest and easiest dry eyelids natural treatment you can apply to know how to get rid of dry eyelids overnight.
- Just pour a little amount of baby shampoo into some warm water
- Apply it directly to the skin but still warm to help encourage the release of moisture from the body and also to open pores.
#2: Use Cucumber:
Cucumber is the best ingredient for several skin issues. It has some antibacterial properties that help you to cure several eyelid problems including dry spot on eyelids.
- Chop the slices of cucumber and then place them over your eyes
- Leave it for about 20 minutes
- Let the cucumber soak straight into the eyes
- Wash your eyes with normal water
#3: Aloe Vera Gel:
When it comes to dry eyelid treatment, you can also consider aloevera gel once. This contains some antibacterial and anti-allergens properties that help you cure different health issues.
- Apply aloe vera gel to your eyelids
- Massage with your fingertips
- Do this for 10-15 minutes
- Rinse your eyes with normal water
#4: Cold Compress:
Cold compress gives you much relief in several health issues and one of the issues is dry eyelids. You can try cold compress to overcome dryness on eyelids issues soon.
- Take a clean cloth
- Dip it in cold water
- Apply it to your dry eyelids
- Keep them for 15-20 minutes
#5: Bonus Treatment: Apply Lubricants & Gels
Generally, our skin around the eyes is quite sensitive than the skin of other parts of the body. It is not enough if you only apply a moisturizer to your face or near the eyelid area and it is not safe as well.
However, you can try several eye creams and gels manufactured by different skin conscious companies for eyelid skin. If you use some lubricants then it can be very helpful for you to achieve the moisturized eyelid skin and get rid of dry eyelids forever. Also, you can keep your eyelid skin moisturized by washing your eyelids with shampoo which is manufactured with least chemicals.
You can try all these home remedies for dry eyelid treatment. They are very simple to apply and you don’t even have to spend a lot of time to apply these dry eyelid treatment option. All these remedies will let you know how to treat dry eyelids naturally at home.
Tips To Prevent Dry Eyelids
Here, you can look at some easy to follow tips that will help you prevent dry eyelids with ease:
- Avoid Some Known Allergies: To get relief from dry spot on eyelid, you can avoid some known allergies that cause some skin issues. Make sure that you always avoid some daily use items like facial cleansers, nickel eyelash curlers, shampoos, hair dyes and bacitracin ointment that contain an ingredient named p-phenylenediamine.
- Avoid Makeup: Never try to continue to apply any cosmetic product or makeup on eyelid until the eyelid dryness condition heals completely.
- Avoid Touching Dirty Surfaces: Also, make sure that you do not touch dirty surfaces with the hands because there are several people around us that touch their eyes and face without even thinking for a second that it can harm your skin.
- Keep Hands Clean: Make sure that you clean your hands by washing them constantly with some antibacterial gel. Also, make use of warm pads to prevent dry eyelid skin.
- Stay Away From Hot Water: Make sure that you avoid applying hot water on your eyelid skin to wash it.
After going through this blog, you must have noticed the causes of dry eyelids and how it can be treated with different ways. Also, some home remedies that can be applied to treat dry eyelids. But apart from these, you can also try some other home remedies for eyelids if anything happens to them. Or you can also try Eye Secrets Eye Lid Lift if you want to lift your eyelids if it has become loosened. This is the safest way to treat your eyelids in any situation.