Benign Eyelid Tumor: Know Its Symptoms, Diagnosis And Treatments
Do you have benign eyelid tumor? Have no idea about this tumor before or still don’t know everything about this tumor? Want to look for its symptoms, treatments and more?
Well, if you want to know everything about benign eyelid tumor then this blog is really very helpful for you. Yes, you can get to know everything about benign eyelid lesions here including its symptoms, diagnosis, risk factors, treatments and more.Our Editors Recommend:
For Safest Way To Lift Eyelids Immediately without Surgery
Click Here To Buy 3 Packs & Get 3 For Free
So, read this blog below and make your concept very clear regarding benign eyelid tumor. But the very first thing you should know about is benign eyelid tumor. Let’s read the below paragraph to know about this tumor.
About Benign Eyelid Tumor
Tumor used to start when healthy cells changes and grow uncontrollably. A tumor can be a benign or cancerous. A benign tumor is malignant, it means that it can be easily grown and but cannot be spread to other parts of the body.
It is a general term for a cancer that can take place on or in the eyelids. A benign eyelid tumor can start from sweat, fat or apocrine glands. It is a type of sweat gland. A benign eyelid tumor is also known as nevus eyelid tumor. It is commonly found on the skin of eyelid and some other parts of the body. Eyelid tumor is usually pigmented and has thickness.
You May Also Like: Excess Skin On Eyelids – Ways to Remove, Causes, Symptoms, Treatments And More
Eyelids are generally composed of four layers: subcutaneous and skin tissue including its tarsus, striated muscle and adnexa with meibomian glands and the palpheral conjunctiva. Malignant and benign eyelid tumors can generally arise from each of the eyelid layers. Several eyelid tumors are of cutaneous origin which can be divided into melanocytic and epithelial tumors.
Symptoms of Benign Eyelid Tumor
If you are experiencing any of these below-mentioned eyelid conditions then you may have benign tumor on eyelid which needs to be treated as soon as possible. Have a look at the eyelid conditions below to know whether you have benign eyelid tumor:
- Swollen Eyelids
- Chronic infection of the eyelid
- A change in the appearance of the eyelid skin
- Thickening of the eyelid
- A spreading, colored mass on the eyelid
- Ulceration on the eyelid
If you notice any of these symptoms then you should talk to your doctor as soon as possible. Your doctor will ask some questions like how long and how often you have been experiencing any of these symptoms and more. All these will help your doctor know the actual cause of the benign eyelid tumor and can be treated soon.
Also Read: Learn To Treat Eyelid Dermatitis – Find Its Causes, Symptoms, Care And More
How To Diagnose Benign Eyelid Tumor
There are several ways to diagnose benign eyelid tumor. Some of the most common methods that can help you diagnose eyelid lesions are mentioned in the below section. Know them one by one:
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI): An MRI is a procedure that uses magnetic fields in order to produce detailed images of the body. It is not same as the X-Ray. The size of the tumor in the eyelid can be measured with the help of MRI procedure. A special dye is generally given before the scan to create a clearer picture of the eyelid tumor area. Doctors can inject into your vein or given as a pill to swallow.
- Computed Tomography (CT or CAT) Scan: A CT scan used to create 3D pictures of the inside of the body with an X-Ray machine. After this, a computer combines all these images into a cross-sectional detailed that shows any abnormalities or tumors. A Ct scan can also be used to measure the tumor’s size. Most of the time, a special dye is given before the scan in order to provide the detail of the image.
- Biopsy: Biopsy is generally a test that is required to determine the extent of the tumor or cancer. It is the removal of s small amount of tissue for examination under a microscope. Some other test can suggest that tumor or cancer is present in the specific part of the body.
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Scan: The short form used for Positron Emission Tomography Scan is PET scan. It is a method to create pictures of organs and tissues inside the body. In this method, a small amount of radioactive sugar substance is injected into the body of the patient. This sugar substance is generally taken up by cells that can use the most energy.
After these diagnostic tests are done with an intention to make confirm whether you have eyelid tumor. Your doctor will then review all of the results with you. if he/she found that you have eyelid tumor, you will be soon get treated in order to prevent other health issues.
Look Here: 7 Common Causes For Having Droopy Eyelids and Their Treatment
Some Effective Treatments For Benign Eyelid Tumor
When it comes to treating benign eyelid tumor, there are eyelid surgeries that can be done by your doctor. If you are willing to treat it soon and want instant results then the only treatments you can try is the surgery. But apart from the surgery, you can also try radioactive therapy, chemotherapy and more.
Eyelid Surgery To Treat Benign Eyelid Tumor
Eyelid Surgery is one of the best ways to remove eyelid tumor and some other surrounding healthy tissue during an operation. Eyelid surgery is generally performed by an ophthalmologist. There are different types of surgical procedures that are used and are generally depends on the size of the tumor and the location of the tumor.
Surgery may also result in scarring and deformity of the eyelid and may also cause problems with tear drainage. You need to talk with your doctor before any eyelid surgery regarding the possible side effects from the surgery.
Know more about benign eyelid lseions here.
These below surgeries can be done to treat or remove benign tumor on eyelid:
- Moh’s Surgery: This surgery removes the tumor and small fragments of the edge of where tumor existed. This surgery is generally used for larger tumor and for some cancer that has come back to the same place.
- Biopsy: it is a surgical method that can help you remove the tumor in the eyelids. If the tumor is found to be cancerous then an excisional biopsy may be the best treatment you can try.
- Reconstructive Surgery: Most of the eyelid tumor patients need eyelid reconstructive surgery. This surgery differs from normal eyelid cosmetic surgery. This surgery is generally used to improve eye functions.
Try This: Ptosis Surgery – Best Surgical Treatment For Ptosis
Chemotherapy To Treat Benign Eyelid Lesions
Chemotherapy is the process that can be used to get rid of benign eyelid tumor. It is the use of drugs that can destroy tumor or cancer cells. This usually stops the cancer cell’s ability to grow and divide. For eyelid tumor or cancer, chemotherapy is the most widely used treatment. Several oncologist used to prescribe topical chemotherapy for treating eyelid tumor with medications.
One of the most common topical chemotherapy is fluorouracil, also known as Efudex. This is a skin cream or a solution a patient puts on the affected area. Chemotherapy can be used as an alternative to eyelid surgery. Generally, patients who have very small tumor are prescribed chemotherapy instead of eyelid surgery.
Some of the side effects of topical chemotherapy may include itching, pain, irritation, dryness, swelling, or burning in the area where it is applied. Some effects like discoloration of the skin or sensitivity to sunlight and scarring.
Radiation Therapy For Benign Eyelid Tumor
Radiation therapy is a method used to stop tumor on eyelid to grow anymore. It is the use of high-energy x-rays or other particles to destroy tumor or cancer cells. One of the most common types of radiation treatment is called external-beam radiation therapy.
It is a radiation which is given from a machine outside the body. This therapy generally consists of a specific number of treatments given over a set period of time. Tumors or cancer that are hard to treat with surgery, radiation therapy can be used for those. The side effects of radiation therapy may include discolored, dry or rash skin, mild skin reaction, loose bowel movements, upset stomach or fatigued skin.
You May Like It: Everything You Need To Know About Human Eyelid Laceration
After reading the above blog, it may be clear that benign eyelid tumor is such a dangerous eyelid problem that needs to be treated as soon as possible. You can also have a look at the symptoms of benign tumor on eyelid. Or you can also have a look at the treatments and also know how to diagnose benign eyelid tumor. These treatments are the best way you can try to treat tumor on eyelid. Or if you find that your eyelids have loosened after these treatments are done then you can lift your eyelids with Eye Secrets Eye Lid Lift.